Monday, April 18, 2011

The Open Window

       I'm usually pretty good at figuring out the twist at the end of the story, but I'm not going to lie - I totally missed this one. The similarities between the main character in this story and the main character in "The Yellow Wallpaper" certainly led me to believe that the ending would be ghostly in some way. I was a little surprised by the ease with which the hapless Mr. Nuttel accepted the niece's story, but I suppose that his nerves predispose him to be more weak-minded than normal?
      Honestly, I still can't figure out why "complete rest, an abscence of mental excitement, and avoidance of anything in the nature of violent physical exercise," sounds like a good idea to anyone. It sounds horribly boring - I'd lose my mind in less than a day, completely bored out of my mind. It sounds like a dreadful thing to prescribe to any patient, especially one with any sort of mental problem. Rest, sure, rest is a good thing, but when you send someone to rest on a vacation, you generally think that they'll get out and go do things.
      I was impressed with the niece's imagination. It reminded me a little bit (this is going to make me sound so old, I know) of Anne of Green Gables, who had one of the most ridiculous gothic imaginations I've ever found in a fictional character. The difference here being that Anne spent most of her time convincing herself that the things she was making up were true, where the niece really only seems interested in how many other people she can get to believe her stories.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I saw right through the niece's story. That could be because I don't trust young teenagers though. I also thought his prescription of not doing anything sounded terrible. That alone could drive a person crazy, not make them better. I didn't draw the connection to "The Yellow Wallpaper" but I see your point. Props on that!

    ReplyDelete