Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Talking with Jay

        Jay and I spent our last conversation talking about what we did during Spring Break. He had stuck around the area and spent his break catching up on homework and hanging out with friends. I went skiing in Colorado, so I explained about that - the drive there, trying not to drive my family insane, trying not to let my family drive me insane, having fun on the slopes, the trip to the emergency room (it's a requirement for my family vacations), visiting my cousins, the drive back, etc.
      It was another one of the really warm days we've been having on and off again recently, and we were sitting outside again because I'm totally a sucker for sunshine and Jay is nice enough to humor me. We were just kind of sitting there, hanging out and watching people, especially the sunbathers, which led to talking about hanging out at the beach (one of my absolute favorite summer pastimes) and then discussing the merits of various beaches. Galveston may be the closest to here, at a mere 6 hours away, but it's even closer to where I'm from, so I've been there lots, and it's not impressive at all. So I was explaining the differences between Galveston and the stereotypical beach - the lack of white sand, clear blue water, and general niceness of surroundings first on the list - and telling him where you need to go to find good beaches - namely Florida. He decided that he might want to go to Florida at some point before he heads back to South Korea.
          After about 20 minutes of sitting outside in the sun, I noticed that he was starting to look uncomfortable, so we headed back inside. He wanted to know if it was considered hot outside yet, and I just sort of laughed at him, because it was nice and warm and beautiful outside, and not nearly hot yet. I told him that no, it wasn't hot outside yet, it would probably heat up at least another 10 or 15 degrees before it was considered hot - and it wasn't humid yet either. Poor guy didn't seem to be expecting that answer - it doesn't really get this hot in South Korea that often, I guess. He was a pretty good sport about the whole thing, though.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia, Thanks for the good blog posts. I thought were descriptions of meeting Jay were quite interesting. I am glad that the second conversation felt more natural, and I appreciated your taking Jay outside in the third conversation, even though he got hot. You seem to having good conversations. I thought your description of Time was great. I too get tired of hearing about Brad and Angelina and worshipping at our culture's cult of celebrity. But then your 1929 Time had a bit of that too. I liked your comparison of ads then and now; instant gratification all around. And thanks for your blogging about the two EH stories, which I thought were insightful. BTW, I hope the trip to the E-ward was not serious. dw

    ReplyDelete